Synthetic Organic Electrochemistry Short Course
From Fundamentals and Applications to Process-Scale Up
Date: 03 June - 05 June 2024
Location: Online Platform
Tutors: Dr David Cantillo
This is a online short course will be divided up into three sessions on the following dates, The third session is optional – details on each session are below:
Monday, June 3rd, 2.00 – 4.00pm (UK) | Session 1
Tuesday, June 4th, 2.00 – 4.00 pm (UK) | Session 2
Wednesday, June 5th, 2.00 – 4.00 (UK) | Session 3 (optional)
Synthetic organic electrochemistry is becoming increasingly important both in academia and industry as an inherently green and enabling synthetic strategy. Electrochemical methods utilize electricity to transform materials into substances of interest such as medicines or agrochemicals, avoiding the use of stoichiometric amounts of often hazardous or waste-generating oxidants or reductants. In addition to the very compelling economic and environmental advantages, electrochemistry provides the synthetic organic chemist with new vistas on the preparation of complex molecular structures.
One of the main barriers that prevents a wider use of synthetic electrochemistry is a lack of specific training of most organic and process chemists. This course will cover the practical principles of organic electrochemistry, a wide range of synthetic applications and the strategies and experimental setups for the scale-up of electrochemical processes.
This short course is run in conjunction with The University of Graz
This online course will be of interest to organic chemists- both in industry and academia- and anyone interested in finding out more about this emerging new technology.
Session 1: Fundamentals I
- Introduction and basic concepts
- Synthetic applications of anodic and cathodic transformations
- Paired synthetic electrochemistry
Session 2: Fundamentals II
- Use of redox mediators and electro auxiliaries in organic electrochemistry
- Flow cell designs and scale-up strategies
- Industrial organic electrochemistry – Case studies
Session 3: Advanced Training (Optional)
- Basics of preparative electrochemistry on laboratory scale
- Selecting electrode materials, supporting electrolytes and solvents
- Cyclic voltammetry: measurement and data interpretation
- Troubleshooting of organic electrochemical reactions
Who Should Attend
This online course will be of interest to organic chemists- both in industry and academia- and anyone interested in finding out more about this emerging new technology
- Live interactive training sessions based over 3 afternoons (UK time) using an online webinar platform, details on how to access the course will be shared before the event.
- E Reader version of the manual (professionally printed versions of the manual are available but at an additional cost to cover postage)
- Course certificate
Please note: sessions will not be recorded or shared after the course.
Synthetic Organic Electrochemistry
A very nice concise course for chemists looking to understand electrochemistry better, with lots of up to date examples of reactions and the different type of equipment available. David was very good and helpful at answering questions.
Synthetic Organic Electrochemistry 2022
From beginners to experts. Or simply curious scientists that wants to know more about electrosynthesis I fully recommend this course!
Synthetic Organic Electrochemistry Online Delegate 2021
The expertise and enthusiasm for the field of electroorganic synthesis of the instructor where clearly evident. The quality of the slides was superb!