Archived: VIRTUAL TRAINING EVENT – Design, Development and Scale-Up of Safe Chemical Processes and Operations
with DEKRA Process Safety
Date: 01 June - 05 June 2020
Location: Online Event
Tutors: Dr Stephen Rowe, Mr Keith Middle, Dr Will Watson
Our Design, Development and Scale-Up Course has gone Virtual!
The course has been specially divided up over 5 days, please download the full programme here Online Course Program 2020 the timings are UK time (BST)
Monday, June 1st – 1.00pm – 4.30pm
Tuesday, June 2nd – 1.00pm – 4.15pm
Wednesday, June 3rd – 1.00pm – 4.15m
Thursday, June 4th – 1.00pm – 5.00pm
Friday, June 5th – 1.00pm – 5.00pm
We will be using our Go-To-Webinar platform where you will be able to listen to the tutors and view their slides. A course manual will be sent via pdf before the course begins. There will be a chance to ask questions during the course too.
More about the course itself……
Developing safe processes is of paramount importance to any chemical company. Exothermic chemical reactions in batch and semi- batch processes can result in serious injury to people and plant if they get out of control. Results of thermal runaways include violent loss of containment, possibly explosion and the release of flammable or toxic materials to the environment.
Employers are bound by Health & Safety legislation to ensure the safety of their employees and those outside their employment who might be affected by their activities. Chemical manufacturers must therefore be aware of all potential dangers in their processes and take steps to eliminate them. The best approach is to design safety into the process from the start.
Often, the first sign of loss of control over a reaction is a reduction in yield or in the quality of the product. Thus safety, quality and profitability are all interlinked.
The third day of the course focuses on plant protection and safety systems designed to prevent or protect against runaway reaction scenarios. This includes extensive discussion and workshops on process control strategies and emergency relief system design for two-phase relief using DIERS methodology.
The course makes extensive use of case studies to help embed principles and key learning points such that attendees leave with tools they can immediately deploy.
This seminar is designed to enhance the awareness of chemists and engineers regarding hazard issues. Utilising the expertise of the chemists and chemical engineers at DEKRA and Scientific Update, it will consider hazard control of new chemical processes throughout their development cycle: from early development through to full-scale production. Hazards can often be eliminated by appropriate choice of reagent or synthetic route at the R&D stage. Where this is not possible, techniques exist to quantify the hazards so that robust engineering solutions can he applied in production.
- To train chemists and engineers in efficient methods for developing safe, low cost, robust chemical processes in the minimum amount of time
- To improve the awareness of chemists on the principles of scale-up and development, in chemical engineering concepts relating to safe plant operation and in the latest techniques for the optimisation of processes
- To learn from the experience (and mistakes) of others by examining case studies from industry
- The first two days of the course outline the fundamental science of exothermic reaction hazards and thermal stability and introduces methodologies available to qualify and quantify relevant parameters. This provides decision-making tools for all stages of design, development and production such that reaction hazards are known and can be reliably avoided
Benefits of Attending
- The ability to identify any significant sources of hazard in existing processes or development plans
- An understanding of the latest techniques for assessing risk, and measuring and quantifying chemical process hazards in the work place
- An understanding of the established best practice to reduce the hazard resulting from exothermic reaction systems with a particular emphasis on emergency relief design
Who Should Attend and Whats Included
Process R&D Chemists, Production Chemists, Chemical Engineers and anyone whose responsibilities include safety or risk assessment of chemical processes or building safety into chemical process scale-up.
The course fee includes:
- comprehensive course manual
- course certificate
DEKRA Process Safety
DEKRA Process Safety is an independent company specialising in process safety. They provide a range of services to help industry reduce the risk of hazards in their processes, including consulting advice, incident investigation, laboratory testing, contract research and development and the provision of training courses. Their consulting engineers have practical experience in industry to complement their expertise in process safety.
DEKRA Process Safety has a worldwide client base, with experience helping many leading manufacturers in the chemical and processing industries. The company has its headquarters at Southampton in the UK with other facilities in USA (Princeton, New Jersey), Italy (Milan), France (Lyon), Spain (Valencia), Netherlands, Ireland and India (Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai).
Their senior consulting staff are internationally recognised experts in their fields, who serve on international standards committees and frequently lecture at conferences and seminars.
For further information telephone +44 (0) 23 8076 0722 or email [email protected]
Bayer Pharma AG
Another very interesting and well prepared course! Thanks a lot!
Very useful with very professional speakers.
Virtual Delegate 2020
I really enjoyed the virtual Short Course and it was very good incl. the thorough collection of examples etc.
Looking forward to the next ones!