Quality by Design in Pharmaceutical Development
5 Session On Line course in collaboration with Paul Murray Catalysis Consulting Ltd.
Date: 15 November - 19 November 2021
Location: Online Platform
Tutors: Dr Paul Murray
We are delighted to offer this QbD course ON LINE, this three day course will be divided up over 5 sessions and brought to you via an Virtual Platform, the dates and times are as follows:
Monday, November 15th | 1.30 – 5.30pm GMT
Tuesday, November 16th | 1.30 – 5.30pm GMT
Wednesday, November 17th | 1.30 – 5.30pm GMT
Thursday, November 18th | 1.30 – 5.30pm GMT
Friday, November 19th | 1.30 – 5.30pm GMT
QbD is an industry initiative supported by regulators. However, it is also a systematic method of process development which delivers consistency, robustness and increased process knowledge.
This course introduces QbD across all areas of pharmaceutical development including synthesis, formulation and analysis, and suggests practical recommendations for the implementation of QbD.
Participants will learn how to identify and prioritise process parameters, determine and manage risk, and implement control strategies. The use of experimental design (DoE) in QbD, the identification of potential mixing and scale-up problems, and the safe scale up of processes to pilot and manufacturing plants will also be discussed.
For the benefit of process scientists, engineers, formulators, analytical chemists and manufacturing personnel, this course includes highly interactive, hands-on workshops, based on several case studies.
Please do view the brochure for more information (please note this is based on the live 3 day course, but the content is the same)
Download Brochure Booking Form
- Introduction: Why QbD, what is QbD? FDA objectives, the QbD approach
- The QbD process: QTPP, assessing risk, working through unit operations to determine CPPs and CMAs
- QbD in chemical development, formulation, method development, and manufacturing
- Drug properties: setting your QTPP, risk assessment, risk management, risk assessment questions
- Identifying CQAs: drug product QAs, drug substance QAs, raw material QAs
- Determining CPPs and CMAs
- Product or Process design
- Criticality: of PP and MA, CPPs and scale dependence
- Consideration of impurities, ICH M7 and QbD, control strategies, case study
- Control strategies: different levels, monitoring and control, post-approval changes
- Chemistry and scale up considerations: process complexity, mixing, mass transfer, heat transfer, modelling
- Process capability, process analytical technology
- QbD and continuous processing: FDA perspective, advantages, challenges
- Quantification of CPPs
- DoE in QbD: introduction to DoE, where does DoE fit in QbD
- QbD in API manufacture, case studies
- QbD in Action: breakout workshop and case studies
- Initial expectations vs current practices
- Summary and definitions
- To provide a comprehensive understanding of QbD including current uses and promised use
- To provide a step-by-step process for successful QbD
- To introduce DoE for QbD purposes
- To apply QbD to develop safe and robust processes
- To use a comprehensive manual with examples and case studies to further educate on the QbD process
After completing the course attendees should have:
- A comprehensive understanding of QbD including the process and all associated definitions
- The ability to develop and use Quality Target Product profiles (including identifying CQAs, identifying, prioritising and quantifying process parameters and material attributes)
- An understanding of different risk assessment techniques to determine and manage risk
- Ways to determine and implement control strategies
- The skills required to develop and understand the robustness of processes
- The tools to identify potential mixing and scale up problems
- An understanding of DoE in relation to QbD
- An appreciation of the benefits of continuous manufacturing from a QbD perspective
- An appreciation of QbD in analytical chemistry, formulation, process development and manufacturing
- An appreciation of PAT in QbD
Who Should Attend
Chemists, engineers, analysts and formulators in pharmaceutical development
Anyone involved with the development of new or existing drug products; changes or improvements to existing or generic drugs are subject to QbD principals.
The course fee includes:
- Link to watch all five live sessions
- Electronic version of the course manual*
- Course certificate
For this on line course, there will be no recordings available and *the e reader manual is NOT printable or downloadable (due to copyright). If you prefer a hard copy of the manual you will have the opportunity of purchasing a professionally printed hard copy during the booking process.
Quality by Design Online Delegate 2021
This is an excellent course, if you want to gain deeper understanding of the QbD concept. Paul is a very good lecturer.
Quality by Design Online Delegate 2021
This course helped me to have understanding on the topic that I thrived to add to my expertise. With this course completed, I am sure that I will be able to apply this to the practical circumstances. I really enjoyed the course and the presenter, Paul Murray, made sure we understand each topic covered.