Date: 05 June - 07 June 2019
Location: Der Teufelhof, Basel
Medicinal chemists need to understand the relationship between chemical structure and the physical properties of molecules and how this translates into compound stability and the interaction of the molecule with biological structures. These biological targets include proteins, lipids, nucleic acids and cell membranes. Interaction of the molecules with these targets affects the distribution of the compound in biological systems and modulates biological function.
To do this successfully the medicinal chemist needs to be aware of how target selection is carried out and how this effects lead generation. The medicinal chemist needs knowledge of structure property relationships, the physico-chemical properties of drugs and how these molecules interact with the body– pharmacokinetics and ADME (Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism and Excretion).
The course also includes an overview of the use of computational chemistry in virtual screening and library design. The lectures are backed up by a number of case studies and tutorial sessions, which involve the participants in using the concepts discussed.
Download Brochure Booking Form
Benefits of Attending
- An understanding of how biological disease targets are selected.
- An insight into the terms, definitions and analysis methods used by
medicinal chemists in the pharmaceutical industry.
- An introductory knowledge of Pharmacokinetics and ADME
(Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism and Excretion) and how
physicochemical properties influence absorption.
- An introduction to the use of computational chemistry including
pharmacophore generation, virtual screening and library design.
- An overview of safety assessment and how chemical structure
relates to safety.
Who Should Attend
- Young chemists who have just started in industry as medicinal chemists.
- Experienced medicinal chemists who wish to gain additional knowledge on how to obtain compounds with optimal drug-like properties and get up to date with the latest thinking.
- Chemists from other areas of Research and Development who would like to gain an appreciation of the processes and drivers involved in drug discovery.
- Students who are planning a career in industry and can obtain company sponsorship
The course fee includes:
- comprehensive course manual
- coffee/tea refreshments breaks throughout each day
- buffet lunch each day
- course dinner on the first evening
- course certificate
Thank you for everything. This course will absolutely cause me to be a better scientist.
A fantastic course that has given me greater confidence in my ability as a medicinal chemist going forward. I look forward to putting my new knowledge to work. Thank you!
Very interesting course, excellent speakers, beautiful venue. Everything was perfect.
Thanks to all the trainers for sharing their knowledge and experience in a friendly atmosphere that made this course so enjoyable. I’d definitely recommend it!