Design of Experiments for Chemists and Engineers
Date: 16 May - 17 May 2017
Location: Manchester, UK
Tutors: Dr Paul Murray
Industrial Scientists can no longer afford to experiment in a trail-and-error manner, changing one factor at a time. A far more effective method is to apply a systematic approach to experimentation that considers all factors simultaneously.
This approach is called Design of Experiments (DoE) and many scientists use it as an efficient way to solve serious problems afflicting their projects.
DoE provides information about the interaction of factors and the way the total system works, something not obtainable through traditional testing methods. DoE also shows how interconnected factors respond over a wide range of values, without requiring the testing of all possible values directly. DoE is a fundamental aspect of Quality by Design.
The two day course written and presented by Dr Paul Murray a Process Chemist with extensive experience of applying DoE across a wide range of chemical reactions from reaction screening and new route development through to reaction optimisation.
The Course will empower Scientists to implement DoE in their work to more efficiently improve their processes.
- Understand the DoE process.
- Select process factors and suitable ranges.
- Understand the different types of experimental design and when to use them.
- Identify main effects, interactions and interpret DoE models in relation to chemical understanding.
- Understand where DoE will solve a problem and when to consider complementary techniques like reaction progress kinetics to probe more challenging processes.
Benefits of Attending
Design of Experiments (DoE) is a statistical tool which enables the efficient exploration of potential reaction parameters and their effect on a process. DoE is a fundamental aspect of Quality by Design.
The course will introduce the DoE Process and how to use it to develop and understand chemical reactions and processes.
Who Should Attend
- Organic Chemists/Medicinal Chemists in R&D
- Development and Production Chemists
- Chemical Engineers
The course fee includes:
- comprehensive course manual
- coffee/tea refreshments breaks throughout each day
- buffet lunch each day
- course dinner on the first evening
- course certificate
Concepts of QbD & DoE all explained nicely. Course is very useful in helping scientists in planning DoE approach to solve problems affecting the product (quality, yield etc.)