2nd Empowering Women in Organic Chemistry Europe Conference
Date: 10 June - 11 June 2024
Time: 08.30 am - 18.30 pm
Location: Birmingham, UK
This event is aimed at enabling networking with industry, academia and women at different career stages, scientific presentations and motivational workshops on themes relevant to women and allies undertaking a career in Organic Chemistry.
Following the success of a US event ‘Empowering Women in Organic Chemistry’ EWOC, which first took place 2019, a group of scientists in Europe decided to organise a similar initiative as a ‘sister’ event, which was held at the Manchester Conference Centre in June 2023.
Recent data and publications show a persistent lack of women pursuing and maintaining careers in Organic Chemistry. Evidence indicates that providing an opportunity for women to meet, network, and share scientific and career strategies is one effective approach to encourage women to enter and maintain careers in science.
This is a not-for-profit event, supported through sponsorship and industrial registration fees.
- Registration is FREE to any chemist studying towards a PhD in Chemistry at a European University
- Academic Postdoctoral researchers can register FREE if they present a poster. However, places are limited, so you are advised to book early to avoid disappointment.
- Academic Postdoctoral researchers not presenting a poster will be charged £50 (+ vat) registration fee. If you are able to pay the registration fee, this will enable more students / academics to present a poster and attend without charge – thank you.
- Industrial Participants / Academic Faculty members will be charged £195 (+ vat) (Early bird £175 before March 10th)
- Male participants are welcome to submit a poster – please contact us, or complete the application form.
Please scroll down to view our sponsor and information about:
- Academic and Young Industrial Chemists Present a Paper and Poster Competition
- Inspirational Career Development Talks
- Market Place
Application Form to Present a Poster or Oral Presentation:
Sponsors from the 2023 meeting are listed below:
We still have other sponsorship opportunities available at the conference, your company logo with link to your website would appear here and for premium sponsorship such as networking and reception, adjacent to the conference pages as well.
See our sponsorship section on the advantages that sponsorship can bring to your business.
Academic and Young Industrial Chemists Present a Paper and Poster Competition
Present a Paper / Poster
The EWOC Committee would like to invite women Scientists to present their work at the above conference. The aim is to provide a forum for talented young women chemists to present their work to an international audience. There will be oral presentations from 3 Academic Researchers and 3 Industrial Scientists (15 minutes each plus questions) and a poster presentation session. All successful candidates (oral or poster presentations) will be invited to attend the conference free of charge. Prizes will also be awarded for the best presentation and best poster.
This award is open to any women chemist either studying towards a PhD in Chemistry at a European University or to Young Academics or Industrialists with 1-5 years in their career (including postdoctoral researchers). Exceptions can be made for those with extenuation circumstances, such as career breaks or non-traditional career paths, please contact the organising committee. Men may also apply to present a poster.
Deadline for Submissions | 10th March 2024
Entries must be made electronically, in confidence to Dr Claire Francis: [email protected] on or before 10th March 2024.
Successful applicants will be informed by 10th April 2024 and will be provided with either a 20 minute slot at the meeting or a poster with / without a chance to give a flash presentation.
Inspirational Career Development Talks
Dr Hannah Roberts, is a women’s leadership coach, trainer and motivational speaker. She will be delivering the following workshop:
Intentional Careers™: How to Accelerate Your Career Even If You Have No Time
Are you so busy working in your career, head down: producing, producing, producing that you forgot to look up and work on your career at the same time? You are not alone. The strategy of ‘proving yourself’ is unfortunately a paralysis trap causing the feelings of being overlooked, underappreciated and underpaid for all of that hard work.
During this 60-minute workshop, you will be guided through the 6-step Career Pivots® Compass methodology to find balance, confidence and fulfilment. There will be a special focus on time and energy management so that you can create your biggest impact while balancing the things and people that mean most to you.
- Learn how proving feeds the self-esteem depletion cycle and how to remove yourself from this paradox by focusing on one elevating element.
- Discover how to unlock the mythical unicorn of work-life balance by prioritising 5 pillar areas in your life, fiercely protecting your career development with boundaries.
- Leave with three clear action steps and the accountability in place to kickstart your journey to an Intentional Career.
About our presenter:
As the founder of Intentional Careers™ and host of the top 10 UK podcast Women in STEM Career & Confidence > 30K+ downloads, Dr Hannah Roberts is an award-winning coach on a mission to eradicate inequality in the workplace by guiding women to design careers for fulfilment with a mindset for leadership to build progressive workplace cultures where every individual feels valued.
Hannah is uniquely positioned as a scientist, mum of three with a background in corporate and academia. She was managing director of a spin-out company before pivoting into coaching, speaking and training in 2019. She has clients spanning 6 continents and is a certified One of Many™ Women’s Leadership Coach and Trainer with the Professional Certified Coach credential from the International Coaching Federation and member of the 2023 Forbes Coaches Council. Read her full story at www.hannahnikeroberts.com
This will be our general area for refreshments, poster presentations and networking with a number of organisations and sponsors who will provide help and advice including:
- career advice
- CV / Cover Letter advice
More information to come